Thursday, January 16, 2014

Seventeen

I'm sure there's a song out there about being seventeen, but no, that's not what this post is about.

I was seventeen when Darkwoods was published. That was my junior year in high school, one of the best times of my life. I learned today (yesterday? Maybe yesterday, they're all kind of running together in my mind) about someone else who reached a milestone at the age of seventeen. Anyone who watches American Idol (I don't) knows who I'm talking about.

There is a seventeen-year-old contestant named Sam Woolf from Bradenton, Florida, who sang a song called Lego House. I have never heard of that song before, or if I have I don't remember it, but I enjoyed it a lot! Not only is it really cool to listen to someone who has superb vocals (pitch, rhythm, diction, etc.) and not just good electronics, it was great to see another teenager pushing ahead! There's no rule out there that prevents under-eighteens from chasing their dreams.

Way to go, Sam! You have my vote the whole way! (Is that how American Idol works?) Whatever, I hope you win!

(P.S. How does American Idol work? Who votes, just the judges or the audience? Can the contestants pick their songs, or are their songs chosen for them?)

1 comment:

  1. In terms of voting, it starts after Hollywood "week", which airs this week and next week. The contestants pick their songs from a list of songs for which copyright clearance is available.

    ReplyDelete