Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What The Heck Happened?????!!!!!!!!

I like to think of myself, if not as a fighter, at least as someone who admires and respects those who fight for what is right. I have the utmost respect for those who stand up for freedom in the face of tyranny and don't back down. Something I like to think has come out in my books.

Something else that has come out in my books is that I am most definitely old-fashioned. I do not hold onto the modern definitions of "tolerance," of "tyranny," of "oppression," and especially not of "standing for what's right." Let me just say right now that right and wrong NEVER CHANGE!! No matter what the person, belief, century, needs, wishes, or culture may say, right and wrong are above all these things. So in other words, what was wrong in sixteenth century England is still wrong in twenty-first century America.

Another phrase that seems to have changed over time is "freedom of speech." Like I said -- I'm old-fashioned. I believe in the First Amendment the same way the Founding Fathers wrote it. It means I can say whatever I choose, whether or not it offends somebody or "hurts their feelings," and no one has the right to persecute me for saying that. I can say that all blonds are stupid and should be eliminated from the voting process (which, by the way, I don't believe) and the government cannot stop me from saying that, no matter how bigotted it is. That doesn't mean I should say it, because it is wrong, but my point is that I can say it and the government can't stop me. Moreover, the population of the United States can yell back at me how wrong I am, because that's the freedom of speech. They can use reason or rage, they can talk calmly or shout at me, and the government cannot stop them because they have the right to say all of this.

They do not, however, have the right to riot, hurt, steal, or kill because I said this. Nor do have the right to storm embassies and kill diplomats, no matter how many feelings were hurt. The government most definitely can stop them from rioting. So why didn't they?

Yesterday (on 9/11, no less!) a group of Muslim fanatics stormed the US Embassy in Cairo. They tore down the American flag and replaced it with a flag bearing an Islamic slogan. They did all of this because of a video that had a picture of their prophet in it. And the Embassy's response? They apologized to the mob! Then they issued a statement along the lines of, "We will not condone bigotry." A pretty clear underlying message is that the movie (which did not storm any embassies or kill any people or tear down any flags) was bigotry and the mob was allowed to kick and scream until they got their way. And on 9/11!! Earlier this morning another mob stormed the American Embassy in Libya and killed the ambassador and several other people. So far there hasn't been any better response than to the mob in Cairo.

Why is nobody standing up for America anymore??? When did America go from being a wonderful nation and a beacon of liberty to an embarrassment? I know America is still the best country on earth because so many thousands of people fight so hard to get here every year. They wouldn't do that if America wasn't better than the place they left. But everywhere the people in power are apologizing for America! And on 9/11! On 9/11 America apologized to the very ideals that led terrorists to fly their planes into the World Trade Center. Why did they not stand up for America? Why did they belittle the country that men and women die for overseas? Why did they show so much disrespect to the people who died on 9/11? People in government, get some guts and stand up for America already!

No comments:

Post a Comment