Friday, May 24, 2013

Gratitude

On Wednesday, I spent most of the day at jury duty. As I was waiting for the selection to begin, I kept thinking about that Monk episode where Monk had to report for jury. He was the first name called. Well, I got there an hour before they started calling names, and I mulled over that episode the whole time. Then, finally, the lady got up and began to read names.

Guess whose she read first? Mine.

I got lucky. The defense excused me, so I don't have to go back. But while I was sitting around, waiting for stuff to happen, I had the time to reflect on things. I really, really didn't want to be there. But as I sat there, I thought how fortunate I was to live in a country where trial by jury is an undeniable right. So, even though I was disappointed to show up and sit through a long day of delays, I was glad to be reminded of the guaranteed rights citizens of the USA have.

I would love to talk more about my experience there, because there were some really interesting things that happened, especially in the courtroom, but it's still an open case, so I have decided I will err on the side of caution and not talk about it until some much, much, much later date when I have nothing else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment