Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Proof That Nothing is Treated as Special Anymore

In the past, I've written about teenagers and young adults who have done impressive things. I enjoy writing those posts, but this is not going to be one of those.

According to The Guardian, someone took the time to "translate," edit, and publish... an Emoji Bible. I really wish I were making that up, but sadly, I think it's true.

Notice that the author gave himself an emoji for his name. 

So many things frustrate me about this, but I'm going to go with the one that I sort of picked up from my on-campus job.

For three years at WLC, I was the webmaster for a website called Fourth Century Christianity, which lists and sometimes translates writings from the fourth century. (If you want some convenient framing events, most of it happens between when Constantine made Christianity a legal religion to when Theodosius made Christianity the only legal religion. See the Edict of Milan in 313 and the Cunctos Populos on February 28, 380.) I also got a theology minor in my last year there. If there is one thing I noticed while doing both, it was how much effort went in to understanding exactly what God says. People struggled over the tiniest distinctions in wording. More importantly, Bible translations were treated with care and respect. Jerome wrote multiple translations of some books. 

And now we have... this. Emojis. 

I'll probably have more to say when I get back to Seattle (right now I'm in Phoenix) and am reunited with my text books.

No comments:

Post a Comment