Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Awesome Things I Saw Written Around Shenyang, Part II

 Over the course of three years, I had the delight of seeing strange English writings around Shenyang. For the first installment, see my post from 2019; this will be the second installment, and there will also be a third (because I have that many pictures). 

First off, there was this menu. I have no idea how to eat "Drawing the doctrine". 


Something else we noticed upon occasion is that any sort of Roman lettering was already interesting. It didn't matter if it didn't mean anything--just as long as it was Roman lettering, it was cool:


Then there was this typo at the Great Wall at Shanhaiguan:


This next one was at a Nike store in the Wanda Plaza about twenty minutes from my apartment. If you look closely, you can see that they switched two of the letters around (although I really can't blame them because they're similar letters): 


Like the Nike sign, the absolutely most hilarious stuff was usually the western-based brands' interpretations of... whatever. For about a month, McDonald's had something called a "sunshine latte", which was a basic latte with a piece of spun sugar colored to look like a sunny-side up egg--so it looked like you had an egg in your morning coffee. That's neither an American thing nor a Chinese thing (my students who had lived in China their entire lives were just as confused). But none of that held a candle to this:


Now, this one actually isn't dumb. Cheese and egg yolk are two of the ingredients for custard--it's custard-flavored ice cream. But for some reason, that didn't make its way to the McDonald's in Shenyang!

Then there was this lovely bookstore:


First off, I don't think "propaganda" means what they think it means--I don't know of any English speakers who would put that word in a flourish like that. I'm guessing that was a mis-translation. Secondly, what is the "greener good" and what does it have to do with a book-coffee-shop?

This next one has me convinced that there's a troll on TaoBao selling t-shirts with dumb sayings on them. The Chinese people can't read them, but those who can read English get freaked out:


I'm willing to be there's a Chinese person selling t-shirts with this saying in Chinese on Amazon somewhere, too. 

This next one makes perfect sense:


Then there was this wine. First off, the label I peeled off came from Capetian, a French wine company that I don't think made this particular brand of wine. False advertising, methinks. But then, look at the label I didn't peel off...


Then there was this sign I saw around Christmas. The speech bubble on the far left says, "Wanda makes fun of life". I know what they were going for, but that's not what that means...


This next one was on the floor at a store called "Happiness". The first glance will make you gasp, and I'm convinced they don't have a clue what it comes from. I can't imagine the local government would be happy, if they knew:


The other reason I'm confident they don't understand this is in this next picture. Look at what happens in the third line from the bottom, and then again in the fourth line from the top:


Right next to the base of that metal stand that's in the middle of the words.

This next one also has to be a lost-in-translation, but I have no idea how it could have happened. What do peaches have to do with charcoal? 


This next one is a little hard to tell. The lit-up English words are fine, but look at what's behind them:


This next one... took me a second, but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense:


The next one comes from the Kunming Zoo. My friend who grew up in Kunming told me that, while the animals are great, the Chinglish signs are just as much of an attraction. Unfortunately, they appear to have hired an English editor since my friend was a kid, but there was still this great sign:


This next picture is HILARIOUS because of the story behind it. My friend is a great bat lover so when I saw the bat on the car, I had to stop and take a picture for her. 


As I was adding that picture into a message, I suddenly read the car brand for the first time. I'd seen that car brand around before, but I'd never noticed the brand itself is misspelled! 

I now can't help calling that car brand "Leopa-ard".

This next one must be a straight translation of two Chinese words into the English words, and it also makes sense:


Then this next one (which I can't figure out how to rotate). Underneath the gold swirls, it calls this tissue paper, "Flexible comfortable life paper". As hard as I laughed at that, I can't argue! 


And I have no explanation for this next one:

1 comment: